Legal requirements

You both need to be over 18 years of age and have two witnesses (family or friends) who are also over 18 years of age.
You will need to complete a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage Form’. This form must be completed, signed and witnessed by an authorised person and received by me at LEAST one month and one day prior to the date of your intended wedding. The form is current for 18 months from the date of signature.  I can provide this form at our initial meeting and can witness this.
Section 42 of the Marriage Act 1961 requires certain original documents to be produced to the authorised Celebrant before the marriage is solemnized, in particular;

I will require to sight some form of Photo I.D. such as Drivers Licence or Passport,  the originals of your Birth Certificates, and if either of you have been married previously, the original of the Divorce Certificate or Death Certificate if you are a widow or widower.

If you an Overseas Resident or were Born outside Australia – you will need to provide all the above documentation or passport if your Birth Certificate is unobtainable.

It is important to note that a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ form needs to be completed and received by the Celebrant a minimum of 31 days prior to the marriage – before a marriage can take place.  Sighting of original ID, Birth Certificates and Divorce Certificates (if applicable) are required at this stage.

Certification of Marriage

Once I have lodged your legal documents after the ceremony, within two weeks you can apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages to obtain an extract of your Registered Marriage Certificate in order to make the necessary changes for important things such as change of name, wills, next of kin, passports, legal status and so on.  Whilst your Commemorative Certificate is numbered and proof of your marriage, it is generally not accepted and the registered copy is required.

Birth Certificate – obtain from the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Download form to apply to change surname

Documentation Sources

Divorce Certificate – can be obtained from the Family Law Court by phoning 1300 352 000 or emailing or alternatively contact the Court Registry in the City and State where you received your Divorce.

For more information regarding the legal components of marriage in Tasmania, contact the Attorney-General’s website.